The FAFSA is a financial aid form that is used by the colleges to allot different kind of financial aid (federal, state, and college’s own aid) to the students. The FAFSA holds great significance in deciding the finances for your higher education. Here are some really important tips and certain rules that can be helpful for you while filling the FAFSA.
- Consider filling up a duplicate version of the form before filling the original one. This will help you ensure that all the entries that you are going to make on the original form is absolutely correct.
- The Financial Aid Officer is going to accept only the original versions. Remember to make a photocopy of the original filled-up form, and keep it in a safe place
- If you are filling the form online, then you should fill out the worksheet copy of the form, before you start inputting your responses online.
- For FAFSA, you can either print out the worksheet version of the online form, or you can simply work on the paper version of the form. For the PROFILE, you can print out the worksheet copy provided by the processor.
Important Tip: Don’t completely rely upon your accountant for all your financial records. At least for the next four years, you should be responsible with all your conceivable relevant documents, and make a photocopy of them all.
Some rules to follow while filling the forms:
- Read all the instructions very carefully. The instruction can sometimes be sketchy and confusing, but you should try to understand them carefully.
- Make sure you use proper writing implement when completing the form. If you use the wrong writing implement, your need analysis will be delayed until they return your original form, and you send them another one.
- No matter if it is your first time or fourth time, you should follow the rules and instructions the same way. The rules keep on changing from year to year. There may be a case when the FAO decides you should use a pencil instead of a pen. If you avoid reading instruction, then it may be painful for you.
- Complete the response area in proper ways. If they want you to colour the response area dark, then you should in no case use tick marks to show your response.
- Writing in the margins is prohibited
- You should be exact with the numbers you write. You cannot write ranges such as $700-800; it should be $750. Don’t include Cents or decimals.
Since the FAFSA is going to be so important in deciding how you manage the expense for your higher education, you must make sure that you take utter care and do not make any mistake while filling the form. Start your research works beforehand, and visit through some old versions of the FAFSA to have an idea about the important work you have to do. The following links should prove to be helpful to you in starting your research on the FAFSA, along with all the facts and information related to the Undergraduate studies, M.S, MBA and Ph.D. in the U.S.